Travel Sketching Workshop in Rome
6th to 9th May 2022
13th to 16th may 2022
Founded in the 8th century BC, Rome, the “Eternal City”, is one of the most beautiful and most visited cities in the world.
It is also known as the “Eternal City”, because time seems to have stopped centuries ago. Its monuments and ruins scattered throughout the city make a walk through its streets become a true journey back in time.
During 4 days, we will walk through the colorful streets of Rome and we will get inspired by the magnificent scenarios that it offers us for our Travel Sketching workshop.
We will explore our drawing tools and experiment with different techniques to awaken our sensitivity and stimulate our creativity.
Likewise, we will remember in a playful way some fundamentals of drawing, such as perspective, and composition.
Losing the fear of making mistakes, we will learn to draw a bit of everything: architecture, emblematic elements of the urban landscape, human figures, details, street environments, etc.
We will emphasize on observation, experimentation and letting go.
This 4-day course will help you gain the confidence and fluency necessary to progress.
From 6th to 9th May 2022
From 13th to 16th May 2022
Friday to Sunday : from 10h to 18h.
Monday: from 10h to 13h.
We will communicate the meeting point to the participants by email.
We will communicate the programm of following days the first day of the workshop.
Nothing is scheduled for lunches and diners. People are free to eat on their own or with the other students.
We will mainly walk during the day and occasionally take public transport.
Sketch-Barcelona reserves the right to cancel this workshop in the case of not reaching a sufficient number of registered participants.
How the workshop is planned
I have planned the workshop so that all the participants can manage their budget as they wish, choosing the mode of transport or accommodation that best suits them.
The workshop begins on May 6/13, 2022 at 10am. Which means that the participants should arrive the day before, or the same day before 10am. The workshop ends on May 9/16, 2022 at around 1pm.
Every day we will meet at 10am in a different place in Rome. We will draw outside all day long if the weather is ok. We will get inspired by different themes: buildings, people, a street atmosphere, details…).
We will eat together the first day to get to know each other better, and the other days, each one is free to eat alone or with other participants. The workshop will go on after lunch until 6pm.
Important to highlight
– Small group workshop (approx 12 people).
– It is necessary to register in advance.
– Classes can be taught in Spanish, English and French.
– The price only includes the pedagogical part.
Are not included: transportation, accommodation, meals, museum tickets, extraordinary expenses, nor material.
– We will dedicate our time to learning urban sketching. We will not have time for touristic visits.
– No obligation to eat together during the workshop, although we propose to have lunch together the first day to get to know each other better.
– We will travel mainly on foot and occasionally by public transport.
– Sketch Barcelona reserves the right to cancel the workshop if the minimum number of participants has not been reached, or due to Force Majeure.
– Our Force Majeure Policy does not cover travel problems due to COVID-19.
Practical aspects for before the workshop
Flights. There are direct flights to Rome from the main European cities.
Telephone. In Italy Roaming is free.
Insurance. You can take out travel insurance to handle the practical aspects of the trip: flights delays or cancellation, theft and robbery, accommodation problems, illness or cancellation.
Accommodation. You can book an accommodation through pages such as Booking.com, Trivago, Airbnb … It is better to choose an accomodation in the centre of the city, or that it is well connected (bus, train or metro).
Folding chair or stool. I recommend you bring a folding stool to be able to sit anywhere and draw comfortably. The floor can be dirty or damp. You can find them in Decathlon or Amazon, in the hunting and fishing section.
Please consider preparing a list of important contacts in order to manage travel risks or specific needs.
- Address and telephone number of the Consulate of your country of residence.
- Health insurance abroad, travel insurance if you have one, (accommodation, means of transportation, loss or theft of personal property, etc)
- Details of your bank in case of loss or theft of your credit card